Thursday, April 14, 2011

Carrie Novel Version > Carrie Film Version

Alright, I finished the novel Carrie about two months ago. It was 253 pages long, and the book was split into three parts. I enjoyed the novel so much that I even went back to Chapters to see if their was any other novels like Carrie. So now I'm reading CRANK by Ellen Hopkins. 


The novel Carrie by Stephen King was about a 16 year old girl who is telekinetic, which means she is able to move and control things with her mind. Carrie White is made fun of constantly at school by other students. She is the most hated person by all her fellow high school students. But one day the students push Carrie's nerves a little too tight, and it sends her on a killing spree through the town. Which also ends in her own death. 


I loved the book, and I watched the movie a month ago twice. They left out so many important points in the movie that should have been portrayed. I was honestly very disappointed. I didn't expect Carrie, or any of the characters to look the way the did in the film as they did in the novel. The movie was way too short, the ending was pathetic, and the movie in general was a complete fail in my eyes. The film detoured away from the novel's original message, making the whole story sound corny and dumb. It seems like they did not try and match the novel at all. 


It just goes to show that novels are always better than the films. Or maybe everyones view on certain novels are different. I'm going to structure my report around the basic fact that not all films live up to the novels they are based on. And the film for the novel Carrie is a good example of a film that did not live up to the novel. 



No comments:

Post a Comment